The town of Sharpsburg
Population: Approx. 705
County: Washington County
Land area: 0.22 square miles
It is located east of the Potomac River, 13 miles south of Hagerstown, Maryland and 26 miles west of Frederick, Maryland. The town has a choice of three parks within its area. They are Antietam National Battlefield which is east of the town, the C&O Canal National Park along the Potomac River, and Harpers Ferry National Park about 15 miles to the south.
The Town was named by Joseph Chapline settled in the area around 1740. After the the French and Indian War, he founded the town in 1763, naming it in honor of his friend Horatio Sharpe. It is a residential community, with little commercial business.
At one time under the term of president George Washington it was considered as a possible site for the location of the U.S. Capital.
In the 1760's residents were mainly of English and German descent. It was where the Battle of Antietam, or Sharpsburg as it was called by the Confederate Army, began at dawn on September 17, 1862.